23 November 2005

Went to the bank today and after finishing all my transactions, the teller said, "Have a nice holiday!"

It took me a few seconds to digest that. In my mind I was thinking that it was still way too early to greet people for Christmas - as much as retail stores want us to think, and then I realized that the greeting was for Thanksgiving.

Now, the concept of Thanksgiving is totally alien to me. First of all, I have never celebrated it ever before and second, I just don't get it. What is the holiday actually about. Well, I know all about the pilgrims and the Indians. But how does the turkey fit in? Is it just one of those holidays (again) that is glamorized in order to lure people to spend more money?

KC and I were talking about it and we agreed that this holiday is on the same level as Christmas for the Americans. This is the time when families get together and try to be nice to one another. We are still thinking of whether to celebrate it or not.

The pros of celebrating it would be:
  1. We have a lot of things to be thankful about this year.
The cons of the other hand:
  1. If ever we decide to cook a turkey, we wouldn't finish it until after Christmas.
  2. It would be sadder for us because our families and friends are not here with us to celebrate.
Well, we have a full 48 hours to decide on this. Tomorrow, I will go to the grocery to get our food for Thursday. I will gradly grab a turkey leg if they sell one. And whatever happens, we will go to the mall on Friday (which will open as early as 5am) for the (after) Thanksgiving Day Sale.


No comments: