16 February 2006

I have NBA League Pass recently activated so that I can watch all the good NBA games that local TV don't broadcast. It was a good deal considering that I have signed up for the rest of the season for a little over a hundred bucks. One the the reasons I suscribed was to see all of Houston Rockets' games. Although they played poorly in the first half of the season, I have reason to believe that they can still make the playoffs.

They have been on a pretty good streak lately, winning 6 of their last 7 games (losing only to the Lakers) and is now in the process of losing to the Phoenix Suns. I was excited to watch this game but when in the second quarter they were down by 20-something, I know that it's best to just turn off the TV and wait for their next game.

I think I found out what's wrong with this team. Nope, it's not about their age (Houston players has the oldest average age of any team in the NBA) nor about talent (Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady are both All-Star starters) but it is about the coaching. FIRE JEFF VAN GUNDY!!!

OK, that may be blaming all the team woes into a single person which is not fair but let me cite these points:
  • He has always relied on defense to win ball games ever since his Knicks' tenure. But he knows jack shit about offense. T-Mac is one of the league's most explosive scorer and he has to do everything on his own giving opponents the chance to double team him while the other four guys are just looking and waiting to see what he will do. For God's sakes, run offensive plays!!!
  • He sucks at rotating players. Key players are not given enough rest during the first half so those players are dead tired when it comes to the crucial part of the game.
  • He does not know when to call timeouts. Just for the record, when your team is down by 2 then suddenly your opponent strings up 10 consecutive points, call a timeout! You don't need to save timeouts when in the end you are down by 20 because you won't need it.
I'm just glad the All Star Break is coming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in Houston and I couldn't agree with you more about Van Gundy. I find it hard to root for this team until he's gone.