31 January 2006

How I am caught up in an American sporting event

Before we arrived here in Seattle, I wasn't even aware of the Seattle Seahawks, well maybe I have heard the name before, but I had no idea who were playing on the team - just like almost all the residents of Seattle.

The Seahawks started the season with an unremarkable 2-2 record, and most people dismissed the team's chances again, like the past 30 years. But somehow, by talent, luck or a mix of both - they began winning and people started noticing. Qwest Field was full of people again, and it was named as the NFL's loudest field, contributing to a league best 20-something false starts by the opponent.

Now, I am caught up in the middle of all this frenzy. Never has a Seattle pro team won a championship since the 70's when the Supersonics were good. Not only do I know the players by name (first and last, I might add) but I can recognize them if ever I saw them walking along Pike Place or Pioneer Square.

I know I'm new here and I know I haven't experienced and can't relate to the failures of the team and the fans before but I am definitely a fan now.

I do hope they win. It would definitely put some much needed sunshine on this rainy city.

No comments: