09 June 2006

The World Cup is back!!!

Germany just dismantled Costa Rica for the World Cup opener.

Wow, it has been 4 years since the last World Cup, the first one i actually followed and where Asian teams actually did good. This World Cup, I am still routing for the Asian teams to do well but there is a side of me that wishes England to win. I remember during the last World Cup, with beer in hand in the middle of the workday where some colleagues and I went to a pub (yes, it was an actual British-type pub in the middle of the red light district in Makati) and watched Brazil ate the English up.

Whatever happened to Senegal? Are my eyes deceiving me or are they not part of this year's Cup? They did a very good job the last time that I thought they would be a shoo-in for this year. I guess there are a lot of good teams from Africa that the competition is stiff.

It is also a good thing that the US did well in the last Cup as they are broadcasting all the games live in 3 separate channels (ABC, ESPN and ESPN2).

Time to go to the grocery later and pick up that Guiness 6-pack.

No comments: